You may think that snow and ice are harmless, but they can cause serious damage to your roof. If it starts to pile up on the roof, you may notice leaks or other problems crop up. This is because the weight of the snow and ice causes cracks in shingles, tiles, or even shakes, which leads to water infiltration. When this happens, there’s not only a risk of water leaking into your building, but also it can lead to mold growth if left untreated. We’ll discuss how different types of roofs react differently when faced with heavy amounts of snow and ice, as well as some tips for protecting them from these harsh winter conditions.
SNOW AND ICE: WHAT IT DOES TO YOUR HOME
- Your gutters might also get blocked up by ice, which will lead to water overflowing, damaging your foundation if left untreated for too long.
- On a slanted roof, iced over snow and ice can cause tiles to crack or even come loose.
- Water begins to accumulate on the roof when ice dams form. This can result in leaks, water damage, mold, and structural issues after time.
- When a lot of snow and ice accumulates because of the weight, there is always the danger of roof collapse.
WARNING SIGNS OF ROOF ISSUES FROM ICE AND SNOW
When you start to notice any of the following issues, you should address them immediately. Some issues are:
- Damaged Shingles
- Shingle Loss
- Cracks In Tiles Or Shakes
- Cracked Asphalt Roof Coatings
HOW TO PREVENT ICE AND SNOW ROOF DAMAGE
You can do a few things to help keep this from occurring or at least cut down on the risk.
- Clean your drains and gutters of debris so water doesn’t have an easy way to damage the roof.
- Consider installing snow guards along all exposed edges, which will stop snow from sliding off the roof and causing damage.
- Consider installing a metal drip edge.
- Place heat cables along the edges of your building and even in gutters and downspouts.
- Heat cables help melt ice and snow as it forms, so there’s no chance of the weight causing damage.
Are you having roofing issues in Anne Arundel County? If you’re looking for snow and ice roof damage repair services, Chesco Remodeling LLC is the place to go. We provide free roof estimated in AAC.