7 Winter Roof Maintenance Tips
- Clean out your gutters. Making sure your gutters are clean and free of debris is one of the most important maintenance tasks you can do to maintain your roof during the winter. Clogged gutters can create a variety of problems, like leaks, water damage, and broken gutters. So, schedule some time to clean out your gutters at least once every year.
- Maintain temperatures by checking insulation. A well-insulated roof is essential during colder weather. Insulation helps regulate temperatures in your home and can keep you warm, even when temperatures dip below freezing.
- Have a plan in case of roof emergencies. Winter weather in Maryland can be surprisingly harsh and include things like sleet, strong winds, snow, and freezing rain that all threaten damage to roofs. You should have a plan in place should there be an incoming weather threat. The best way to plan for emergencies is to have your roof inspected at least once every year.
- Ensure proper ventilation. Good ventilation is vital to temperature control in your home. It also affects your health. A poorly insulated roof or home can cause mold growth, leaks, and overworked heating units.
- Apply sealant to your roof. A roof sealant can be added to your roof to provide an extra layer of protection against weather hazards and other threats. Sealant also helps prevent your roof from expanding and contracting as temperatures rise and fall throughout the day. By applying a sealant to your roof before the winter months, you will significantly improve its durability.
- Regularly check on your roof. Regularly take a look at your roof to search for signs of damage, such as broken or missing shingles, leaks, or water damage. Examine your roof both from the outside of your home and inside your attic.
- Get a roof inspection. While it’s possible to do several things on this list by yourself, it’s a good idea to hire a professional to perform an inspection on your roof. Getting a professional inspection on your roof once per year, especially ahead of winter, is a smart move that could save you money in the long run.
Prepare Your Roof for Winter
We hope this list of Maryland roof maintenance tips has helped you with your winter roof plans. If you have any more questions or want to get started and schedule a roof inspection ahead of the winter months, call Chesco Remodeling LLC now at (443)-710-9133 to receive a free estimate. We’ll tell you the truth about your roof!